Sunday, November 11, 2007

For Parents Only


I just finished reading the book For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid by Shaunti Feldhahn and Lisa A. Rice. One of the things that caught my eye from the back cover was: “For every bewildered parent, there’s a kid longing to be understood.”

I found the book very insightful and it gave me a fresh understanding of my teens. Some of the discussions included are: Why your child suddenly treats you lien an alien and acts like one too, why your child secretly hopes you’ll stand your ground, why your teen is convinced he can’t talk to you and how to change his mind and what mood swings reveal about teens’ secret fears and how you can boost their confidence.

My boys will tell you that I am far from a perfect parent and on some days they may say I’m a terrible parent. I make lots of mistakes, but let’s face it, what works one day for our teens doesn’t work the next and just why does that happen? This book gave me a fresh perspective and insight into the pressures my boys are facing and tips on how to navigate these turbulent waters. I’d loan it to you, but I need to keep it close by because I’m still trying to apply it to my parenting. I do think it’s worth the investment!

No comments: