Friday, August 8, 2008

The Battle

This summer I'm doing a Bible study on prayer with my closest friend. Prayer is one of my weakest areas in my walk with God. I keep thinking that I'll be a better pray-er when I get organized...which somehow never happens. So, when my friend said she wanted to work on her prayer life, I quickly agreed to join the journey. We chose a well known Christian author who wrote both a book and study guide...perfect for our needs! But...I struggled so much with this study. I didn't want to do the work and when I did read, I felt like saying "I already know this, tell me something I don't know!" Yikes, what an attitude and I had some guilt over that as well!

The one thing about doing a study with a friend is that there is accountability to do the work, so I fulfilled my duty and whined a bit in the process. Then I decided that I should pray (DUH!) about my struggles. I felt that Satan was really trying to pull one over on me, which would lead to a path of frustration. I also decided to try doing the workbook before I read the chapter in the book and believe it or not, between the change in process and prayer, I'm now enjoying this study, seeing the power of prayer and even getting tips for how to organize my prayer life.

Why was this a battle? I believe Satan would rather have me be frustrated and ineffective while God wants me to have His strength and guidance for each day. I suspect we all have different battles going on in our lives at any given time. So, the purpose of me sharing this is to encourage you to hang in there with whatever you need to hang in with...a Bible study, Christian book, relationship or just managing daily life and PRAY! I'd love to pray for you as well, just let me know how I can pray for you!

No comments: