Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas Traditions

I was reading a book this morning called "101 Ways to have a Christian Christmas" by Brenda Verner. I'm always open to hearing different ideas to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas. I was tempted to skip the introduction and get to the ideas, but decided to read it. I also have the bad habit of skimming a bit to quickly thinking blah, blah, blah. Had I done this today, I would have missed out. The author talked about the trappings of our society but as Christians we celebrate the birth of Jesus. She went on to say "We respond to this 'good news' with joy and thanksgiving, and from that response flow the generosity, creativity, and enthusiasm that spark many of our yuletide celebrations - whether at home, in our neighborhoods, at church or in our cities Christ becomes the center point and focus of all we do."



I got to thinking about all the things I like to do this time of year, decorating my home, baking cookies, eating cookies, shopping, wrapping gifts, sending Christmas cards, etc. I have to admit that when I'm doing all the things I just listed, my heart is not always (maybe I should say not often enough) focused on Christ. Sometimes there is a disconnect and the spiritual is separate from my traditions or better stated, my to-do list. I know this time of year is so busy, but perhaps it will be more meaningful and less stressed if Christ truly becomes the center and focus of all I do. What do you think?

1 comment:

kmcbride said...

I think we truly lose the meaning of Christmas when we get to busy doing things that take us away from what we should be focusing on. I try to make a conscience effort to focus on why we celebrate this time of year. Trust me I'm not perfect at it but as the years have gone by the focus gets stronger and stronger for His glory and not my own.