Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Quiet Times

I got together with some friends the other day and as we talked we discovered that we were all struggling with consistency in our quiet times. We all know and have experienced the benefits of starting our day in the Word and in prayer. Those days just seem to go almost flawlessly, not without issues, but we view those issues through the lens of God. They are just better days. So the question is, if we know how much better it is when we spend time with God, why don't we do it?! There's no easy answer here, probably a bit of Satan distracting us, not enough denying our own desires (sleep), etc.

I do NOT have all the answers, but as I mentioned in an earlier blog, I've been reading a book called "Six Secrets to a Powerful Quiet Time." Their website is http://www.quiettime.org/ and they offer many resources some online and some books. I've only been at it about a week or so, but it has energized my times with God. I found that I had become lazy relying too much on the study of other humans and not being in the word and studying for myself.


One idea I read yesterday was to read through Psalms and Proverbs reading one a day. If you do this, you'll read through the Psalms and Proverbs twice in a year. I think this is a great plan and one I'm praying over as I plan for 2008. Would you join me in this? Pray about it.


This morning as I was thinking about this blog entry I had a thought, bear with me because it does connect. Maryn and I were up in her room. She went to her crib and pulled out her "bluggy" (her little comfort blanket) and stuffed panda bear (from Miss Darcy). These are her favorite things she wants when going to sleep. They provide comfort and security. I got to wondering...what are my comfort items and what should they be? I prayerfully wish my comfort item to be my copy of God's word, something I couldn't live without or go a day without opening. I believe this will be one of goals and prayers for 2008!

1 comment:

C.L. Mareydt said...

enjoyed your latest posting ... thanks! a gentle reminder of what is really important.

You might enjoy:
Worth Your Salt