Friday, December 14, 2007

What Does it Mean?

What does devotions or quiet time mean to you? I read this definition of devotional study this morning from "Six Secrets to a Powerful Quiet Time." It is a quote from Merrill C. Tenney, "Devotional study impresses the message on a believing heart. The crown of all study is devotional study. Devotional study is not so much of a technique as a spirit. It is the spirit of eagerness which seeks the mind of God; it is the spirit of humility which listens readily to the voice of God; it is the spirit of adventure which pursues earnestly the will of God; it is the spirit of adoration which rests in the presence of God." (Italics mine).



One of the verses I read this morning is from Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you." After thinking about this verse, I decided I've taken the "diet" approach to God's Word...read it quickly, glean little so as not to eat too much and heaven forbid gain weight (spiritual or otherwise), and check it off my to-do list. Yep, definitely the diet approach. With God's help I'd like to take the rich, extravagant approach with a spirit of eagerness, humility, adventure and adoration. I've no doubt that in my weight loss minded approach, I will not be spiritually fat...I believe those adventures will keep me fit in the Lord! Physical fitness??? Well, that's another blog topic all together and I'm not going there this morning!

No comments: