Friday, September 26, 2008

It works for toddlers...


This morning Maryn wasn't getting her way and in true Maryn fashion she dropped to the ground, screaming and rolling around demanding her way...I don't even remember what she wanted anymore. She was ranting, raving and rolling all over the family room carpet...yes that sweet thing you see on Sunday mornings does have a temper and she is 2, so it goes with the territory! So what did I do? I laid down on the carpet and did the same thing she was doing to show her how crazy she looked. (Now I realize that some parenting experts would tell me that you need an audience for a tantrum and I usually go that route, but I couldn't resist this morning.)


Thankfully my mock tantrum didn't backfire on me. It did diffuse the situation and we had fun wrestling and laughing, oh, I got drooled on as well. It's a few hours later and I was thinking it would be nice if the same strategy would work for my teenager's little outbursts, somehow I think not! But alas, God deals with each of us individually. Sometimes He uses humor to bring us around and sometimes the dreaded 2 x 4.

No comments: